Mumbles info logo
BBCi©2001..BBC Weather
Home Accommodation Information Beaches Restaurants Weather Tides Activities Walks Maps

 

Image of Mumbles Lighthouse

9. Mumbles Lighthouse

The original lighthouse was built by the Harbour Trust in 1794, as a two tiered stone structure burning coal fires. The lighthouse was continually improved over the years and became automatic in 1934 it is operated by Trinity House. A blockhouse was built near the lighthouse in 1860 as a defence against possible invasion by France’s Napolean III; it was also used during the Great War.

In January 1883 the lifeboat went to the aid of the “Admiral Prinz Adalbert” The lifeboat was capsized three times in gale force conditions. Jessie and Margaret Ace, daughters of the lighthouse keeper Abraham Ace, with the help of Edward Hutching, pulled two crewmen ashore. They were later made women of Mumbles Head.

A graphic illustration depicting the Ace sisters

A graphic illustration depicting the Ace sisters

Image of Mumbles Lighthouse
Link to Mumbles home page



Web pages developed and produced by enjoygower.co.uk
Copyright © 1997-2002 . Contact Us

 

wholesale oakley sunglasses Oakley Sunglasses Outlet ルイ·ヴィトン ルイヴィトン 財布