Mumbles info logo
BBCi©2001..BBC Weather
Home Accommodation Information Beaches Restaurants Weather Tides Activities Walks Maps

 

Image of Mumbles Pier
 

7. Mumbles Pier

Continue along until you reach the Pier, it opened in 1898 and was a popular destination for holidaymakers. They arrived by train from Swansea in their thousands, band and choral concerts were provided for entertainment. The Pier was used regulary by paddle steamers and later screw driven vessels; there were sailings to Ilfracombe, Lundy Island and Gower coast cruises. The Lifeboat House was built in 1922 and still houses the present Tyne class boat. The boathouse is open to the public and is well worth a visit.

 

When the pier first opened it was owned by The Mumbles Railway and Pier company. It brought business to the railway as day trippers used the train to get to the pier. Captain Twomey was employed as piermaster in 1924, his job was to organise the entertainment. The Pier was taken over by the Amusement Equipment Co Ltd and dodgems and games were introduced in 1939. Recently the the Pier Amusements have undergone a facelift and the area is more pedestrians. At the end of the pier a new lifeboat house is being constructed, this will allow the boat to rest on a level platform for maintenance.

�� �� �� �� �� �� ��

click and drag on image to operate panoramic

 
Link to Mumbles home page


Web pages developed and produced by enjoygower.co.uk
Copyright © 1997-2002 . Contact Us

 

 

wholesale oakley sunglasses Oakley Sunglasses Outlet ルイ·ヴィトン ルイヴィトン 財布